The announcement of the 12 European heritage sites shortlisted for the 7 Most Endangered Programme 2021 attracted wide news coverage in several European countries.
At least 147 articles about the 7 Most Endangered 2021 Shortlist were posted online, printed or broadcast across 14 countries – Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Kosovo*, Republic of Macedonia, Serbia, Spain and Switzerland – between 10 December 2020, when the announcement was made, and 10 February 2021 (overview of media articles).
Selection of articles about the 7 Most Endangered 2021 Shortlist released by leading media outlets:
▪ Croatia’s national TV station N1, national daily newspaper Vecernji List, national news agency HINA and national news magazine Nacional;
▪ France’s national newspaper Le Figaro and national news magazine Le Point;
▪ Georgia’s national TV stations Formula News, Imedi TV, Maestro TV, Palitra News and Rustavi 2, national radio stations 1 TV, Commersant and Tavisupleba, and national news agencies Inter Press News and Sputnik Georgia;
▪ Greece’s national TV station ERT (video screenshot above) and national daily newspapers Kathimerini and To Vima;
▪ Italy’s national TV channel Sky Arte (article screenshot above) and national daily newspaper Corriere della Sera;
▪ Kosovo*’s national TV stations Klan Kosova and RTV21, national daily newspaper Koha Ditore and news website Telegrafi;
▪ Republic of Macedonia’s national TV station Sitel and national Media Information Agency;
▪ Serbia’s national TV stations B92 and N1 (article screenshot above), national radio station RTS, national daily newspapers Politika and Danas, and national news agency Sputnik Srbija; and
▪ Spain’s national daily newspapers El País and ABC, national news agencies Europa Press and Sputnik Spain.
Georgia (27 pieces), Greece (22 pieces) and Serbia (21 pieces) had the highest levels of media coverage.
The 12 most threatened heritage sites in Europe shortlisted for the 7 Most Endangered programme 2021 were reported primarily by online newspapers and magazines (129 pieces). Website articles were followed by broadcast articles (11 pieces) and printed articles (7 pieces).
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.